Resources and Support

The university has a number of policies, guidelines, and resources to help you as you develop your marketing and communications materials, from websites to print brochures and more.

Not sure where to begin? See guidance on getting started, including when to engage a professional service provider and how to connect with Yale’s design offices for an initial consult.

Video explainers

Learn more about Yale’s visual identity in these short videos.

See videos

Policies & permissions

Yale-licensed merchandise is an important part of the university mission, serving to help promote the Yale brand throughout the world. The Yale Department of Marketing and Trademark Licensing manages Yale trademarks and all licensing requests to ensure the Yale name is used appropriately and produced with high-quality reproduction. Licensed products include clothing, pennants and banners, key chains, watches, glassware, and other gifts.  Any person, business, or organization interested in using the Yale name or trademarks for any purpose must secure the prior approval of the Yale Department of Marketing and Trademark Licensing. Learn more by visiting the Yale Trademark Licensing website.

Yale is committed to making information, programs, and activities on its websites and web-based applications accessible to people with disabilities. The university’s accessibility policy establishes requirements for staff, faculty, and students to develop and modify university websites so that they are accessible to people with disabilities. Visit the Yale Accessibility Resources website to learn more.

Do you need guidance on taking footage of campus for your communications materials? The university offers assistance for non-commercial filming and has policies and guidelines for commercial filming requests.

Non-commercial news and documentary films
The Yale Office of Public Affairs & Communications would like to make it as easy as possible for you to record news or documentary footage and interviews on our campus, and will be happy to facilitate your efforts. Visit our webpage on Filming at Yale to request assistance. 

Commercial films and videos
Please visit the Filming & Photography at Yale website for guidelines.

Many schools and departments choose to partner with an external agency to help with their marketing and design needs. 

Websites and digital
A vendor can provide anything from technical support to a full-service web design depending on the scope of your project and available budget. The YaleSites team in ITS offers guidance on working with an outside agency, including how to select a vendor, what to include in an RFP, and how to prepare for your project.

Graphic design and print 
The Office of the University Printer has developed relationships with a number of exceptional freelance designers, illustrators, and agencies who are well-versed in Yale’s identity guidelines. You may contact the office at to request a consult.

How to get help

These offices can address questions about the identity standards and related policies as well as guide you on producing your marketing and communications materials:

Office of the University Printer

Office of Trademark Licensing

Yale Printing & Publishing Services

Request a consult

Do you need guidance and would like to request a meeting? Request a consultative session with the Office of the University Printer.