The typeface is available to university employees and students for use in Yale publications, communications, and academic work. It may not be used for personal or business purposes, and it may not be distributed to non-Yale personnel.
Please note that the Yale typeface is now provided as a set of four OpenType files. These files are compatible with current Macintosh, Windows, and Unix operating systems. Please refer to readily available online instructions for loading typefaces into your operating system. Note too that the “Yale Display” typeface is included as an additional folder in the download package. At this time it is only available as a Macintosh Postscript Type 1 font, which is compatible only with Macintosh systems.
Macintosh users, as well as users of older Windows systems, will note that the legacy Type 1 Yale typeface files do not conflict with the new OpenType versions.
Contact Maura Gianakos at email@example.com if you have questions concerning download.
You may also contact the Office of the University Printer regarding the effective use of these fonts in the work of your department or program, or if you have any questions or comments related to the Yale typeface.
Terms & Conditions of Use Agreement
- You agree to use the Typeface and its component fonts for Yale University projects only. Yale projects include print, Web, or video graphic communications emanating from Yale University, its academic and administrative departments and offices, and officially recognized student organizations.
- You agree not to give or allow the Typeface to be used by non-Yale individuals or organizations for non-Yale purposes. You will apprise service bureaus, design firms, and all other subcontractors who have your authorization to use the Typeface for Yale projects, that this agreement applies to them, and that their use of the Typeface is limited to the Yale project at hand and that they may not further distribute the Typeface without written authorization from the Office of the Yale University Printer.
- Note that the Typeface may in the course of normal use be “embedded” in PDF (Portable Document Format) files. This may permit unauthorized reconstruction of the Typeface software, which is a breach of our license with Carter & Cone, the designer of the Typeface. You agree to be aware of this possibility and to use discretion when distributing PDF files that embed the Yale Typeface.
- Note that the Typeface is a core component of Yale University’s visual “brand,” and that its benefits to Yale and to its departments, offices, programs, and affiliated organizations depend substantially upon the skill, experience, and thoughtfulness of the designer and typesetter of each project. Therefore, with this understanding you agree to seek design and production consultation as needed regarding the effective use of the Typeface from the Office of the Yale University Printer.
- You agree that the following uses, among other similar uses implied by the foregoing agreement, are not permitted: sale or licensing of the Typeface; alteration of the Typeface or any of its component fonts or features; use by Yale students, faculty, staff, community members, alumni, contractors, and others for non-Yale personal, business, or professional activities; distribution to non-Yale personnel for any purpose except authorized use on behalf of Yale University.